White Chili – A Chili Bowl Special
- ½ pound dried navy beans or 2 15-ounce cans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, or to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-2 teaspoons Sabrosa Fired up salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 2 4-ounce cans diced mild green chilis
- 2 to 3 pounds chicken tenders, cooked and shredded
- 1 ½ cups grated Monterrey jack or other mild cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- Cilantro for garnish
- Salsa for topping
If using dried beans, soak in cold water overnight. Simmer beans until tender, about 1 hour; drain.
Cook onion in skillet in 2 tablespoons butter over moderate heat until softened.
In a large heavy pot melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter and whisk in flour. Cook roux, whisking constantly, 3 minutes. Stir in onion and gradually add broth and half and half, whisking constantly. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer, stirring 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in Tabasco, chili powder, cumin Sabrosa Fired up Salt and pepper. Add beans, chilis, chicken, and cheese and cook mixture over low heat. Stirring for 20 minutes.
Garnish with cilantro and serve with salsa.
Serves 8 to 10